Primera Division

Barcelona and Real Madrid left disappointed as Martinez set to stay at Inter

The Argentine has been linked with a big-money move away from San Siro this summer but his agent has confirmed he is staying put

 
12:06pm on Tuesday 15th September 2020
By
Martin Macdonald

Lautaro Martinez will not be joining Barcelona or Real Madrid this summer and will stay at Inter for the 2020/21 campaign, according to the player's agent.

The Argentine has become one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe over the past 12 months due to his exploits with Inter, scoring 21 goals in all competitions for the Nerazzurri.

Before the coronavirus pandemic hit clubs hard financially, he was believed to be Barcelona's number one transfer target for the summer, with Lionel Messi reportedly keen to link up with his compatriot at the Camp Nou.

However, plans have changed in Catalunya as after the devastating exit from the Champions League at the hands of Bayern, head coach Quique Setien was fired to be replaced by Ronald Koeman.

READ MORE:

Lampard: Chelsea have aspirations of competing with Liverpool

Barcelona agree fee with Lyon for Memphis

Does home advantage still matter with no fans in stadiums?

Odegaard excluded from first Madrid squad of the season

Neymar admits he acted like a 'fool' but reiterates racism claims

Although Martinez remains a long-term target for the Blaugrana, Koeman has prioritised the signings of Memphis Depay from Lyon and Gini Wijnaldum of Liverpool - two players with whom he worked closely alongside with the Dutch national team.

Rumours then circulated that Real Madrid had entered the race for his signature, with a potential bid being accepted over the weekend.

But, agent Carlos Beto Yaque says there is no agreement and has never been an agreement with either Clasico outfit.

"It was just a courtesy visit, that is all," he told Tuttomercatoweb after he was spotted entering Inter offices this weekend.

"There is nothing with Real Madrid and Barcelona. Lautaro is staying here at Inter."

Barca were previously in the running for Martinez after Lionel Messi announced his intentions to leave the club this summer. The subsequent windfall from that sale would have allowed for spending on Martinez, but after Messi announced he was staying the plans were scrapped.

Latest news

Bundesliga

Dortmund sign another English wonderkid from Man City

The Bundesliga side have once again raided the Premier League runners-up, like they did with Jadon Sancho a few years ago

  • 6 hours
Transfers

Should Sergino Dest pick Barcelona or Bayern?

The exciting young full-back is in a tug-of-war at the moment between the clubs, but if you were him, where would you go?

  • 6 hours
Milan

Ibrahimovic tests positive for coronavirus, will sit out Europa League

The big Swede was in superb form for Milan at the weekend, but they'll have to make do without him against Bodo/Glimt

  • 6 hours
European Championships

Five substitutes to be allowed in Champions League and Euros

The rule was originally brought in around Europe to help with the burden of returning in the coronavirus crisis

  • 7 hours
Premier League

Porto tell Man Utd to pay Telles' €40m release clause

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is desperate for a new left-back this summer, but the Portuguese side are remaining firm on the asking price

  • 7 hours
Lionel Messi

Luis Suarez is still a top forward - just not for Barcelona

The Catalan giants can't carry so many older players but the Uruguayan is still a superb finisher and has time to go yet

  • 8 hours

Most read

Other interesting players

  1. image description Breel Embolo S, AM (C)
    M'gladbach 74
  2. image description Chris Wood ST (C)
    Burnley 74
  3. 1. FC Köln 74
  4. Inter 74
  5. 74
  6. Udinese 74
  7. River Plate 74
  8. image description Yussuf Poulsen S (C), AM (R)
    RB Leipzig 74
  9. Juárez 74