- Liverpool's only two dropped points the season came at Old Trafford, when a late Adam Lallana goal secured a 1-1 draw. They have been perfect since with exception of a League Cup loss at Aston Villa with a weakened side.
- Liverpool's record at Anfield in the league is W11-D0-L0, scoring 29 goals and conceding just nine
- Liverpool haven't conceded a league goal in their last six matches, stretching back to 3 December against Everton.
- Man Utd's away record is a poor W3-D5-L5, scoring only 12 goals and conceding 15
- Liverpool have had a full week to prepare for this clash, while United featured in a hard-fought 90 minutes against Wolves in the FA Cup on Wednesday
KEY TEAM NEWS
Liverpool will welcome Fabinho and Joel Matip back into contention although a spot on the bench is the best either can expect. Naby Keita is their longest-term concern.
Manchester United suffered a blow when Marcus Rashford limped off after coming on a substitute against Wolves, but his back problem will be given until the last minute to be overcome. Luke Shaw won't play either, and Brandon Williams is a certainty to start at full-back in any case.
Liverpool: Alisson; Trent, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson; Wijnaldum, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Salah, Firmino, Mane
Manchester Utd: De Gea; AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, Williams; Fred, Matic; Mata, Pereira, James; Martial
16 December, 2018
Liverpool absolutely dominated their rivals, hitting 36 shots on goal in the contest, though only achieved an xG of 2.6 in total. Xherdan Shaqiri scored twice in the second half and this result ultimately sealed the fate of Jose Mourinho as United boss.
Odds Then: Liverpool 1/2 | Draw 4/1 | Man Utd 6/1
Much will depend on whether Rashford will be fit, such is his attacking contribution for the Red Devils this season, but United have also performed better against the leading sides in the division. Liverpool haven't been the swashbuckling attacking force of earlier in the campaign and this one may be tighter than people may imagine. Liverpool to win, but a tight one.
Result: Liverpool 2-1 Manchester Utd
SMALL STAKES TIP
Liverpool to score a penalty is 4/1 with Bet365.