THE Premier League'S GREATEST GOALS EVER
How do you categorise Great Goals?
The Great Goals Project is FootballCritic's attempt to catalogue, analyse, and rank every high-quality goal scored in various competitions or by famous players. We rank goals based across a number of specific categories in order to establish the difference between the very good, the great, and the greatest.
We started the project by ranking Lionel Messi's 50 greatest goals, and now we move onto the behemoth that is the Premier League.
Founded in 1992, we've got 27-and-a-half seasons worth of incredible long-range goals, volleys, counterattacks, overhead kicks and other special moments of skill to pick through.
We started off by simply selecting the BBC Goal of the Month winners since 1992. That created the foundation of our list.
But we soon realised that three things:
1) Very good goals were often missed by the BBC's competition,
2) Allowing fans to vote on this kind of thing is a fool's errand, and
3) Long-range goals often take precedence over more skilful, better, goals.
But some BBC awards were given to non-Premier League goals, sometimes in the FA Cup or in Europe, so we had to remove those too.
We had to expand our list. And expand it we did, until we reached a list of 450 incredible Premier League goals.
But it's worth noting, at FC we categorise goals based on a number of factors which determine which goals we deem to be the best.
1. Aesthetically Pleasing: How enjoyable was the goal to watch?
2. Technical Difficulty: How hard is it for a professional player to score a goal like this?
3. Uniqueness: Has this goal been seen many times before, or is it one-of-a-kind?
4. Importance: Was the effort the fifth in a 5-0 win, or the winner a Premier League decider?
5. Standard of Opposition: How good was the team that the goal was scored against?
We will have underrated a goal you like or overrated a goal you love. That's for certain. But just remember the criteria above was applied in order to compile the list.